Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ion Color Brights Review & New Hair pt2

Top from Forever 21, Necklace from Charlotte Russe
So if you read my last post (READ IT BEFORE YOU CONTINUE OR DIE!) you might have seen my recent hair dye purchase. I buy a lot of hair dye... A LOT. Mainly because I am always on the hunt for the perfect red. So okay, let talk about this brand! I have had bad expiriences with Ion in the past before when I tried their red in the regular permanent color line, and I hated it and vowed to never use Ion again! So I was pretty specticale about trying the Brilliance Brights line but considering I only had ten dollars on me, and it was the cheapest one I decided to try it and I was actually pleasantly surprised I had more Pros than Cons!

If you did not head my warning and continued to read without reading the previous post, BOOM you're dead... but just to let you know I bought a red dye and an orange dye in an attempt to achieve this.

FYI before I go on, you do require a pre-bleaching before using this dye, I haven't done my roots and the color did not hold at all on there so bleaching is a must! I know! It pains me too!

Pros
  • The color is amazing! I really dont like having bright red florescent hair, I like a more "natural" but bright red. (if that even makes sense) And this is great, I really like how dark the red is yet it is still bright enough where its not considered auburn, the orange on the other hand ended up picking up florescent red on the ends of my hair. My theory is that since the ends of my hair already had orange hues in it, the adding of more orange just made it a bright red orange, not the true orange I hoped for, but it is not the dyes fault, just my failing color theory. 
  • The dye gets hard after about ten minutes being in your hair. Which I personally like as I dislike having a wet head for 30 minutes. Its just less messy.
  • The smell is really nice! I cannot describe it as my sense of smell is lacking, but it is very pleasant and doesnt kill you like some dyes tend to do. Even my dad who hates it when I dye my hair because of the smell, commented on how nice this one smelled. 
  • ~*~*~DAT PRICE.~*~*~ They are 4.99 a pop! And they contain the same amount as Manic Panic does and Manic Panic is $8.99-10.99 depending on where you buy it, so its awesome for us currently unemployed red heads and all you teens with parents who do not want to break the bank going red, because it does it expensive, trust me!
Cons

  • My only con is the consistency, this dye is super ultra mega THICK! I actually ended up adding a tiny bit of conditioner to it to try and make it more creamy. It was so thick that it was actually a bit hard to apply it with a brush so I ended up just using my hands and massaging it trough. Maybe I just need more practice dealing with this dye, but that was the only unpleasant thing (in my opinion) about it.



So here is my hair, and I really like it. I mean, its not what I planned it but usually takes me about three tries until I get it the way I want. Haaaa, but I actually think that if I put a yellow dye on the ends of my hair, it will actually turn orange! But whatever! Its all trial and error and Ive gotten used to it. 




    2 comments:

    1. What level of volume did you use to make it that color? I love it and would love that color, but when I tried ion before I used a 40 vol developer (my hair being very dark at the time) and it turned Ronald McDonald red. I now have very light dirty blonde hair, what volume do you recommend?

      ReplyDelete